Invest a little, make a lot.
It’s all about preparation. A little bit of effort can mean the difference between a standard price and a great price. Would you spend $500 on preparing your home if it could net you an additional $3000? Or would you spend $5000 if it could net you an additional $20,000? We’ll assume the answer is yes.
The smallest upgrade in your home can make the biggest difference to the saleability and therefore your maximum achievable price. Whatever your motive for selling, the process can either be stress-free or tense and disappointing. Our team at ONE AGENCY can facilitate all and any presentation requirements for your property, so your home is looking its absolute best to potential buyers.
There are five factors that will influence the outcome of any sale. We call them the five P’s:
One Agency will discuss the five ‘Ps and additional successful selling strategies with you at the time of appointment.
Buyers can be found all year round, but it’s not often that the right purchaser for your home is out there just waiting for you to put your home on the market. Timing, presentation and advertising are all vital ingredients in bringing buyers and sellers together for a successful result.
So what is the most ideal time to sell? When the supply of properties on the Real Estate market is low. If there are a limited number of properties to buy, the demand outweighs the supply. Buyers will pay more if they have less to choose from.
The One Agency team has a strong understanding of current economic forces and the effects they play on our Bellarine Peninsula property markets. Ask us for our advice when we meet.
Try to use your own ‘buying’ eyes and look at your home objectively to think about what appeals to you and what would put you off buying your own property.
One Agency can assist you with your property presentation. We facilitate this service for free, and it may well be worth your while should you not have the time or if this is your second residence and you live too far away.
Below are some tips to get your home buyer-friendly:
• A tidy and clean home says “Welcome”. Keep your home neat, but there is no need to remove everything. The home still needs to look like a home, so a few knick-knacks and objet d’art lying around will make the house seem more liveable.
• Clean all windows inside and out and any walls or light switches that have fingermarks.
• Add some fresh flowers or indoor plants to brighten things up.
• Rooms look smaller when they are crowded. Remove any clutter or furniture to create a feeling of spaciousness.
• Make sure surfaces are clear apart from vases or appliances.
• Make sure that all minor repairs are completed. Sticking doors and windows, loose door knobs, faulty plumbing or peeling paint may affect your sale.
• Let in plenty of natural light by opening the curtains, or switch on lights if the day is particularly dull.
• On hot days, keep the air-conditioner on for buyers’ comfort and make sure the home is cosy and warm in winter.
• Play relaxing music and use plug-in aromatics or light scented candles to add to the general ambience.
• Clear everything off kitchen counters except for appliances.
• Tidy up and rearrange all cupboards, stack all dishes neatly and turn all cup handles the same way. You’d be surprised at how many buyers look here to weigh up storage options.
• Tidy up wardrobes, fold and arrange everything neatly. Hang shirts all facing the same direction, line all shoes up together.
• Now may be the perfect time to buy that new bedspread.
• Make sure the bathrooms are spotless. Treat any mould or grout problems the day before so there are no lingering chemical fumes.
• Put away your toothbrushes. No one wants to see these.
• Ensure there are fresh towels on the towel racks.
• Mow lawns, trim hedges, touch up paint and sweep paved outdoor areas to showcase the gardens and outdoor entertaining areas.
• Pull out any unsightly weeds and rake up any debris.
• Tidy sheds and garages, removing rubbish and hanging up tools. Garden beds should be neatened and fresh mulch spread around to keep weeds at bay.
• Wash down eaves and remove cobwebs, repair damaged window frames and glass.
• Wind up hoses or store them away.
METHOD OF SALE
Auction versus Private Sale
The first step in optimising a result for the sale of a property is determining the best method of sale for the situation. We’ll assess your needs, the market conditions and advise the right medium for you.
Our typical auction campaign consists of four weeks of advertising and open house inspections followed on the fifth Saturday before the Auction. The defined time frame not only demands action from interested buyers, it assists you to plan for your next steps.
If you submit your property for Auction this means that prospective purchasers will bid against one another at a date and time suitable to you. You can set a reserve price, which is the minimum you will accept, and once bidding has passed that level you know you have a sale, as it will be unconditional and a predetermined deposit must be paid on the day.
Your sale is in the most capable hands with our highly experienced Auctioneers.
Vendors who do not want the publicity that comes with a full auction campaign, or who have a flexible approach to the time period in which their property may sell, will find the private sale approach an attractive option.
Private Sale means that you set a price at which your property is to be marketed to the public through the marketing plan agreed to by you and the agent.
A private sale campaign may have weekly advertising and regular open home inspections, or inspections may occur by private appointments only. We can tailor a private sale campaign to suit your specific requirements.
The campaign runs for as long as it takes to find a buyer at an acceptable figure and excellent results can be achieved this way.
MARKETING AND PROMOTION
Once you have decided upon your method of sale, ONE AGENCY will develop an appropriate cost effective marketing campaign for your property that fits within your budget. This will include promotional material such as quality brochures, sign-boards, prominent website exposure and additional advertising required to showcase your home to the market.